[:en]
The Rialto Theatre was one of the first to feature stadium-style seating without a balcony. It opened on May 21, 1917, showcasing the silent film ‘The Garden of Allah’, accompanied by the Quinn Symphony Orchestra under the direction of composer Joseph Carl Breil. Two years later, Sid Grauman took over, remodeled it, and renamed it as Grauman’s Rialto, running it until 1924.
The exterior was originally designed by architect Oliver P. Dennis as a Greek Renaissance structure, with three sets of arched windows and a classic pediment over its facade. A remodel in 1923 by theatrical architect William Lee Woollett completely altered its appearance, bestowing it with a modified Georgian façade, adorned only by two rectangular windows flanked by fluted pilasters and two small round windows.
Inside, the theater’s proscenium was framed by massive columns, and the side walls resembled ancient stonework. The plaster ceiling beams were painted to look like wood. In the 1930s, the Rialto gained a new marquee featuring a spectacular Art Deco neon display, one of the largest on Broadway.
The theater underwent several remodels over the years to accommodate new technologies and changing fashions. Unfortunately, almost none of the original interior elements remain – the plaster was removed, and the decorative paint and stencil work were painted over. The auditorium was dismantled, and the lobby area was converted into a commercial space.
Fortunately, the historic Rialto marquee still stands and was declared a Cultural Historic Monument of the City of Los Angeles #472 in 1989.
In 2013, Urban Outfitters announced plans to rehabilitate the Rialto Theatre as part of the revitalization of the historic Broadway area in downtown Los Angeles. It now serves as a store for this clothing brand.
[:es]El Rialto fue uno de los primeros teatros con asientos de estilo estadio sin balcón. Se inauguró el 21 de mayo de 1917 con la proyección de la película muda ‘El Jardín de Alá’, acompañada por la Orquesta Sinfónica de Quinn bajo la dirección del compositor Joseph Carl Breil. Dos años más tarde, Sid Grauman se hizo cargo de la sala, lo remodeló, lo rebautizó como Rialto de Grauman, dirigiéndolo hasta 1924.
El exterior fue diseñado originalmente por el arquitecto Oliver P. Dennis como una estructura del Renacimiento Griego con tres juegos de ventanas en arco y un frontón clásico sobre su fachada. Una remodelación en 1923 a cargo del arquitecto teatral William Lee Woollett cambió completamente el aspecto del edificio. Se le dio una fachada georgiana modificada, ornamentada sólo por dos ventanas rectangulares flanqueadas por pilastras acanaladas y dos pequeñas ventanas redondas.
En el interior, el proscenio del teatro estaba enmarcado por enormes columnas, y a las paredes laterales se les dio el aspecto de un antiguo trabajo de piedra. Las vigas del techo de yeso fueron pintadas para que se parecieran a la madera. En los años 30, el Rialto consiguió una nueva marquesina con una espectacular pantalla de neón Art Decó, una de las marquesinas más grandes de Broadway.
El teatro fue remodelado varias veces a lo largo de los años para acomodar las nuevas tecnologías y el cambio de la moda. Por desgracia, casi ninguno de los elementos interiores permanece – se quitó el yeso, y se pintó encima la pintura decorativa y el trabajo de estarcido. El auditorio fue desmantelado y el área del vestíbulo se convirtió en un espacio comercial.
Afortunadamente, la histórica marquesina de Rialto permanece y fue declarada Monumento Histórico Cultural de la Ciudad de Los Ángeles #472 en 1989.
En 2013, Urban Outfitters anunció planes para rehabilitar el Teatro Rialto como parte de la revitalización de la histórica zona de Broadway, en el centro de Los Ángeles. Actualmente, es una tienda de esta marca de ropa.
[:]